All You Need To Know About International Driving License
There might be times when you have to drive while in a foreign country, whether it is for travelling and exploring or work purposes. Having an international driving license becomes a necessity in these circumstances. The official translation for your driver’s license issued in your home country, which lets you drive legally in a foreign country, is the international driving license, cording to the International Drivers Association.
What Does An International Driving License (IDL) Stand For?
It is a document authorized by the United Nations and issued to people travelling to foreign countries and is officially known as the International Driving Permit (IDP). It proves the holder has a valid driving license in their home country. It is also used to translate the document into different foreign languages to make it easier for foreign officials to verify and understand the certificates. It also permits you to drive the vehicles listed in your IDP in foreign nations on a legal basis. It contains the name, photo, and information of the driver. It is a valid form for identification in more than 150 countries, along with your original country’s valid driver’s license and passport.
How To Apply For IDL In India?
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has now made applying for an International Driving Permit an easier process. Anyone wishing to rent and drive vehicles in another country on an overseas trip must apply for an International Driving Permit. The steps you need to follow in this process are listed below: –
- You should visit their nearest RTO with the essential documents and the application fee.
- Whether you fill out the application form in person at the RTO or online, at the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways portal (parivahan.gov.in), carrying the acknowledgment with you, along with the other necessary documents, to the RTO.
- The applicant must submit the documents and pay the prescribed fees to the concerned RTO.
- After submitting documents, the processing time of getting the IDL is usually 3-4 business days.
The Documents That Are Needed To Apply For An IDL
- Driver’s License that is valid and its copies
- Valid Passport as well as its copies
- Visa (when applicable), that is also, and its copies
- Your air ticket’s copy for verification
- The medical certificate (Form – 1A) that is validated
- Form for the cause of IDP (Form- 4A)
- Your recent passport-size photograph’s four copies
- Fees that are prescribed and user charge
Advantages Of The International Driving License The International Driving Permit
- It permits you to drive a vehicle in a foreign country.
- It is approved as proof of your driving credentials and capabilities.
- It also confirms that you hold a valid driving license in your country.
- It can also be used as identity proof alongside your original valid driving license and passport. If your original driver’s license is not in a language spoken in your country of travel, it comes in handy.
- It is allowed in over 150 worldwide signatories to the 1949 United Nations Convention agreement.
- You can only rent a car in some countries if you hold a valid IDL.
- The insurance companies require an IDP to provide coverage to foreign drivers who drive motor vehicles.
- You don’t need to take any other driving tests in the countries you visit.
The validation for an International Driving Permit is for 1 year from the date of issue, and you must apply for one if you are planning to drive on your next overseas trip.